Friday, April 29, 2011
Gender on my mind
I've been thinking a lot about gender identities and just what it means to have different gender stereotypes and stigmas. When I think of gender, I think: boys and girls. When I think of gender identities, I think: What does it mean to be a boy or a girl? The story about child X and the discussion that followed in class led to a question of whether or not it would be possible to not have gender roles. In other words, can we get rid of what we think it means to be a boy or a girl? Having no expectations for what it means to be a boy or girl seems liberating and the way things ought to be. We tend to think of boys as one way and girls as another, because those classifications may be true for many. The problem is that we apply those judgments and classifications on people we haven't personally gotten to know. It is ridiculous to think that you can know someone just by observing outward appearances. Simply looking at someone's gender, race or general appearance tells you nothing about that person's strengths, weaknesses, or their personality. That's the beauty about humans, nobody is exactly like anybody else. Therefore, there is no one person who can fit our exact definition of what it means to be a boy or a girl. This leads me to conclude that our definitions of what boys or girls should be like are all wrong and that the notion that we can confine an individual to a predetermined category is pointless and even somewhat insulting to the capabilities of the human race.
Labels:
405
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment