Saturday, June 4, 2011

WEST-E

So I just took the WEST-E test today...
I can't believe that test is a requirement for us to become teachers. I felt more like I was a contestant on Jeopardy rather than a pre-service teacher. After discussing the topic of standardized testing and assessment in our classes, taking the WEST-E felt a little unreal. The majority of the questions seemed like pointless trivia and if people actually needed to know the concepts that they presented, they could easily Google the question and have their answer in 4 seconds. I simply don't understand what the content of that test has to do with whether or not I will be a successful teacher. I found it interesting that on the Elementary Ed sub-tests included health/fitness and art as parts of their titles. With art in particular, I noticed that there were only 5 questions at the very end and the previous 50 were all about language arts and social studies. It was pretty similar with health/fitness. I just thought it was a good portrayal of what is held in high importance in schools right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment