Teaching Tolerance linked a video via Facebook with the intention of showing an eighth grader's call to action about the misuse of the word "gay". Here it is:
From my perspective, I saw a video with a good message created with an eighth grader's sense of humor and for an audience of middle school students. However, as I browsed the comments posted on Facebook about the video, I realized that this video offended many adults because Teaching Tolerance posted something that condoned violence as a way of conveying a message.
I have mixed feelings about the argument surrounding the video. Is there really a problem with this video, or are people just looking into this video too closely? I understand the problem people have with this portrayal of violence, but it is done in a humorous manner and perhaps that is what students may respond better to as opposed to a serious video. If the fake slaps were removed, would this video have even been brought to public attention in the first place?
I guess this leads me to a bigger question: Is it alright to teach using effective methods if there may be morally gray messages underlying those methods?
No comments:
Post a Comment