Friday, December 2, 2011

Is Boy-ness Appropriate for School?

Now that I'm reunited with my main placement, I've begun taking notice of things a little more closely. As we were discussing the progress of the students in the class, my cooperating teacher informed me that some of the boys in the class were still having problems with the content of their writing and illustrations. The type of content in question involved scenes of mild violence, war, and bodily functions. While I understand that there is a social etiquette that students learn at school, I also understand what it is like to be a little boy.

From my experience, there are some things that some boys are fascinated with that some girls will never understand. Therefore, I sometimes can't help but think that it is unfair when a female teacher restricts a boy from writing about something that fascinates him. I suppose I'm a little unclear about where the line is drawn between what is and isn't appropriate for school and who gets to decide. For instance, in September I watched my little first grade boys spend their quiet free time making paper airplanes. I loved watching all of their creative designs take shape with great enthusiasm and excitement. All of it came to an end when the substitute teacher banned the making of paper airplanes during free time as she turned to me and said, "Boys. I just don't understand them sometimes." 

Will I be looked upon negatively if I let my students write about battles between pirates and ninjas? Or about barfing flowers? One of our boys actually wrote about the latter. I just can't help but wonder how many imaginations are being crushed by people telling them that their interests are inappropriate for school.

2 comments:

  1. I'm betting you will allow Pokemon, pirate, Nijago, and lots of Lego battles - and I think that is perfectly awesome! I think it goes back to how we sometimes expect our students to fit into such a narrow profile - quiet, obedient - and not allow them to express who they are and what their interests are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - As we read about it Regie Routman's texts, at this age, we need to let our students' creativity and interests drive their work and their writing so they don't lose the desire to write and express themselves. If a student is finding joy in writing and making an effort to use inventive spelling, etc, that's what's important. If a student is constantly writing about something such as, as you said, battles between pirates or ninjas or about barfing flowers, a teacher could encourage them to expand on their thinking by asking something such as, what else do you know about pirates? What do ninjas wear? Etc. This way, if a teacher is uncomfortable with what a student is writing, at least the student may be able to maintain the subject they're interested in and simply expand on it in a different direction.

    ReplyDelete